How do I Safely Remove PPE?
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) should be removed carefully to avoid spreading infection. Healthcare workers have to be extra vigilant and take the PPE off without contaminating the clothes and skin.
The procedure of removing PPE is as follows –
- Step 1: Firstly disinfect your gloves and then remove the shoe cover, discard it, and disinfect your gloves again.
- Step 2: Grasp the exterior of one glove at the wrist and pull it off. Hold it in the gloved hand. Now slide the fingers of a single ungloved hand under the wrist of a double-gloved hand and pull it over so that it turns inside out.
- Step 3: Discard your outer pair of gloves and disinfect your inner pair of gloves.
- Step 4: Now tilt your head forward and remove the face shield and goggles. Discard it and again disinfect your gloves.
- Step 5: Remove the gown, discard it, and disinfect your gloves.
- Step 6: Grasp the exterior of one glove at the wrist and pull it off. Hold it in the gloved hand. Now slide the fingers of the ungloved hand under the wrist of the gloved hand and pull it over so that it turns inside out. Discard the gloves.
- Step 7: Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer to clean your hands.
- Step 7: Now remove your mask or respirator from behind and discard it.
- Step 8: Thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds or clean them with hand sanitizer.
Make sure you perform hand hygiene after every step. Be cautious while removing PPE and in case your hands become contaminated, quickly wash your hands.